Animal/animal products import and export

Guidelines for transferring to and from WSU

When acquiring and transferring animals and animal products used in research, testing, and teaching, you must meet specific requirements. Please contact us with questions regarding animal imports and exports.



Importing animals from outside institutions or non-approved vendors please visit RHMP Animal Import.

Purchasing animals from approved vendors please visit Animal Acquisition-Pullman or Animal Ordering Spokane. 

All other animals

Please refer to WSU IACUC Policy # 5 for specific details on acquisition of various species, or contact Campus Veterinary Services at 5-6246 or 

After Arrival

Entrance exams

Physical examinations are required for animals purchased or transported by the University. Abnormal animals should be reported to the Office of the Campus Veterinarian by phone, email or using the online health database, accessible through WSU’s MyResearch portal.

  • Rodents, fish, and amphibians

    Rodents, fish, and amphibians can be visually assessed for abnormalities by animal care or research staff. No health record is necessary if animals appear normal.

  • USDA-covered species: cats, dogs, rabbits, nonhuman primates, vertebrate wildlife

    Veterinary teaching animals must have an entrance exam, performed by a veterinarian, veterinary technician, or animal care or research staff.

  • All other species

    Visual or physical entrance exams are required. Their completion and findings should be noted in either group or individual medical records.



Exporting animals domestically or internationally to institutions please visit RHMP Animal Export. 

All other animals

Please refer to WSU IACUC Policy # 5 for specific details on disposition of various species.  In most cases all animals crossing state lines will need a health certificate and if cattle or horses moving across state lines they will need a brand inspection. 

Brand inspection

The Washington Department of Agriculture mandates inspection for any ownership change of cattle and for interstate transport of cattle and horses. For complete information, refer to the WSDA livestock inspection program and the guidelines for agricultural animals in WSU IACUC Policy #5 (pdf), Animal Acquisition and Disposition Policy & Guidelines. The Office of the Campus Veterinarian has certified brand inspectors on staff for WSU animal transfers.  Please use the Veterinary and Technical Services Request Form to request a Brand Inspection. 

Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)

Also known as health certificates, CVIs are required for international or interstate transfer of live animals and animal products. Certificates must be created at the site of origin.

The Office of the Campus Veterinarian has licensed and accredited veterinarians on staff to issue health certificates for animal movement across state lines and internationally.  Please use the Veterinary and Technical Services Request Form to request a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI). 


WSU IACUC Policy #5 outlines specific procedures on acquisition and disposition requirements for all vertebrate and cephalopods used for research and teaching. 

All disposition methods must be defined on an approved WSU IACUC Animal Subject Approval Form (ASAF). All USDA-covered animal species’ medical records must include the following disposition information:

  • Date of disposition
  • Manner of disposition with complete medical information

Please refer to the Animal Disposition Form for the complete record.

All other species should have this information, complete or abbreviated, in their medical records. Rodents that do not have individual records can have group records of end of study on monitoring forms.

24-Hour Emergency


To obtain the documents below in a form accessible to persons with disabilities, please contact the Office of the Campus Veterinarian.